Out West Arts: Performance at the end of the world

Opera, music, theater, and art in Los Angeles and beyond

10 Questions for...
Nino Machaidze

November 06, 2011

 
Nino Machaidze Photo: Uli Weber
The other hot young star who will be kicking of Los Angeles Opera’s revival of Gounod’s Roméo et Juliette starting today is Georgian soprano Nino Machaidze. Unlike her current costar Vittorio Grigolo, Machaidze is well known to Los Angeles Opera audiences where she has had two incredibly popular appearances in the last two seasons including Adina in L’Elisir d'Amore and Fiorilla in Il Turco in Italia. Machaidze, who is still under 30, is well known for bel canto roles such as these and will also star in The Metropolitan Opera’s revival of La Fille du Regiment in December. But in Los Angeles, she will return to the role that made her a star, Juliet. Machaidze made a very big splash in 2008 when she stepped in for a pregnant Anna Netrebko in the part in Salzburg opposite Rolando Villazon. The performance that was captured on DVD and since then she’s performed the role at La Scala among other world class venues. She’s recently released her first recording with Sony, Romantic Arias, earlier this year. So before you head out to hear her sing today, take a minute to check out what transpired with her turn at the Out West Arts 10 Questions.

  1. What role would you most like to perform, but haven’t yet?

    Manon

  2. What role would you never perform, even if you could?

    Carmen

  3. You’re returning to Los Angeles Opera as Juliette, a role that you’ve sung to great acclaim in Salzburg, Milan, and elsewhere. What’s the biggest challenge in portraying Gounod’s (and Shakespeare’s) great heroine?

    I love so much the role of Juliette and I love the story of Romeo and Juliet. It is so interesting to play and sing this girl who is so full of love, happiness and tragedy. It gives me great satisfaction.


Nino Machaidze and Vittorio Grigolo as Romeo and Juliet in Milan Photo: Marco Brescia & Rudy Amisano
  1. You’re especially well known for bel canto roles here in Los Angeles including recent spectacular turns as Adina and Fiorilla in Il turco in Italia and in December you’ll return to The Metropolitan Opera as Marie in Donizetti’s La Fille du Régiment. What’s the best thing about singing these touchstone bel canto roles?

    I'm so happy that the bel canto is exactly my repertoire. I feel very comfortable in these parts and I hope to sing them for long, long time. It’s absolutely wonderful music, but you need to study a lot to have a very strong, good technique. You need a good voice, good and easy coloratura, high notes, low notes, piani, forti and musicality.

  2. What do you like best about singing for audiences in the United States?

    I really love American audiences. They are absolutely fantastic and give me a great, positive energy. It’s always a big pleasure for me to sing for them. I always try to give all my heart and all my best in every performance, and it makes me so happy to feel that they see this and give me back a big, big love.

  3. Which opera or role inspired you to become a performer on the operatic stage?

    I really don't remember one specific part. I just always knew that I wanted to be an opera singer.

  4. You’re iPod is destroyed by a temperamental tenor. What music on it will you miss most?

    “All Night Long” by Lionel Richie



  5. You’ve worked with many of the greatest conductors and vocalists in the opera world. Is there someone you haven’t worked with yet you’d like to?

    Yes, of course, but there are so many more than just one, and I hope to work with them all someday.

  6. What's your current obsession?

    I have one dream that I wish will come true.

  7. With which of your operatic roles do you have the most in common?

    Juliette!

Labels: ,


Comments:

Geez, Lionel Ritchie?

Sigh.

But I still love her- even Lionel can't change that.
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Calendar


Recent

Opera Reviews '10-'11

Opera Reviews '09-'10

Opera Reviews '06-'09

L.A. Phil Reviews '09/'10

L.A. Phil Reviews '08/'09

L.A. Theater Reviews

 

Follow Along

Brian

Los Angeles

Follow me on Twitter

Archives