Out West Arts: Performance at the end of the world

Opera, music, theater, and art in Los Angeles and beyond

Let it snow

December 24, 2006

 

I just got back from the dull and lifeless production of Matthew Bourne’s Edward Scissorhands now playing at the Ahmanson Theater downtown in all of Center Theater Group’s hyped-up holiday glory. (Though whether the holiday is Christmas or Halloween is unclear.) I wasn’t sure it was possible to like something less that Bourne's prior Play Without Words, but I’m learning to accept that I can sometimes be wrong about things. I don’t want to dwell on something so unpleasant right before the holidays, so let me leave it at this: I did discover a benefit to bathing an audience in artificial snow – it makes it much easier to discover if the atrociously-dressed woman in front of you is wearing a ghastly jacket made of suede with patent leather epaulets or if it is some vinyl/pleather hybrid. Panic can certainly be instructive if not productive.

On a happier note, I’d like to wish everyone in blogville a happy holiday season. Even though my humble corner has only been in existence 4 months or so, I really appreciate all the positive feedback via mentions and links from others including the folks at Night After Night, The Rest is Noise, ionarts, oboeinsight, The Standing Room, On a Pacific Aisle, and mad musings of me. It’s nice to be noticed particularly by other bloggers whom I myself enjoy reading. (Links to all of these fine blogs can be found on the left.)

Well, I'm off to New York this week but will be posting away from home. Stay tuned for more including my entry into the chatter around The First Emperor. (P.S. If I’m leaving anyone out please drop me a line and let me know, I’d love to hear from you.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Calendar


Recent

Opera Reviews '10-'11

Opera Reviews '09-'10

Opera Reviews '06-'09

L.A. Phil Reviews '09/'10

L.A. Phil Reviews '08/'09

L.A. Theater Reviews

 

Follow Along

Brian

Los Angeles

Follow me on Twitter

Archives